Vice President – Senior Credit Analyst (Hedge Funds)
- Standard / Permanent
- US-NY-New York
Financial Institutions Coverage (FIC) is a global coverage group specializing in the Financial Institutions sector. FIC aims to build long-term relationships with key clients and gain insight into client strategy and targets to provide original and integrated ideas and solutions.
Within FIC, the Credit Team is responsible for completing the credit analysis for underwriting extensions of credit to financial institutions clients including due diligence, risk ratings, trade approvals and risk analysis.
In particular, the Team ensures that credit analysis and recommendations are provided in due time for Banks, Insurance firms, Sovereign, Brokers, other non-banks financial institutions, pensions funds, hedge funds, regulated funds, funds of hedge funds, private equity, agency arrangements and asset managers.
The Credit Team performs credit analysis and provide credit recommendations on their respective scope to Credit Committees, Transaction Approval Committees when the credit opinion on a specific counterparty is required, other RISK entities, Business Units or functions in response to general enquiries, Portfolio review committees.
The Credit Team
– Guarantees the quality of credit files and portfolios (notably by complying with regulatory framework e.g. Basel III requirements and including credit policies, rating policies and other Group guidelines),
– Develops local market intelligence by performing desk research (financial statement analysis, monitoring of published research),
– Guarantees the selection and the follow up of counterparties considered Doubtful, under Watch List or sensitive list, evaluates the accurate level of provisioning
– Maintains a network of Business contacts and performs on site due diligence, guarantees that available local market information and views on risk issues are communicated swiftly and effectively.
The Credit Team is a main partner for the Senior Credit Officers in RISK and Business delegation holders for the clients covered by the financial institution credit process and is in permanent interaction with other business lines for uncovered clients.
Candidate Success Factors:
Candidates are measured on the following four performance drivers, which will dictate how individual impact is considered on the Americas platform:
- Results and Impact
- Able to influence peers and team.
- Demonstrates good judgement when making decisions of high complexity and impact.
- Exercise appropriate autonomy in the execution and delivery of work.
- Responsible for driving outcomes, which have meaningful effect on team or department.
- Leadership and Collaboration:
- Creates trust with colleagues.
- Acts in leadership capacity for projects, processes, or programs.
- Client, Customer and Stakeholder Focus:
- Able to build relationships with a mix of colleagues and clients.
- Interacts regularly with management and department leaders.
- Demonstrates the ability to influence stakeholders at the team level.
- Compliance Culture and Conduct:
- Takes full responsibility for personal actions and demonstrates courage in facing problems and conflicts.
- Perceived as a person of high moral character; upholds corporate values and displays high ethical standards.
The senior analyst role will be responsible for completing credit and portfolio analysis on complex hedge funds within the Americas to facilitate informed credit decisions.
The role includes:
- Develop an in-depth understanding of the counterparties/groups under his/her responsibility and develop market intelligence by investigating all available sources of credit and financial information.
- Monitor permanently the portfolio under his/her responsibility, developing market knowledge, anticipating risk to detect any credit issue requiring a specific review.
- Conduct Annual and interim reviews.
- Produce within the deadlines and present in Credit Committee a factual summary of client’s credit worthiness (credit proposal) compliant with the Bank’s guidelines.
- The credit proposal includes a detailed & well supported recommendation on the ratings, the limits, the legal credit terms and the risk taken vis-a-vis the client.
- Perform credit analysis and provide recommendations for delegation holders (Credit Officers, Senior Credit Officers) on the counterparties/groups.
- Is mainly in charge of flow transaction reviews as well as more complex transaction analysis
- Develop a good knowledge of the banking environment: capital market products, legal documentations, accounting and regulatory environments.
- Lead due diligence calls in collaboration with Bankers, Credit officers and SCOs
- Contribute to portfolio reviews when required
- Keep abreast of the changing methodologies and credit policies
· Lead analysis of complex credit files
· Contribute to the urgent/important or atypical/complex requests that will require a senior review/follow-up at all levels of Business and within RISK
· Share knowledge, best practices and review the credit risk analysis of other team members before submission to the delegation holder when required
· Act as mentor for more junior analysts.
Interact with Coverage Bankers, Business Lines and RISK, seeking an impactful and early stage contribution to credit decisions
- Interacts in full transparency with the Delegation holder (SCO & FIC Relationship Manager).
- Attend when necessary discussions under the leadership of the Delegation holder.
- Prepare credit proposals in the light of FIC commercial strategy, coverage memo, and of any material information (transaction or risks) provided by the RM Pilot or the Delegation holder.
- Contribute together with the Delegation holder to the identification of the credit points that need to be discussed with the client (during Due Diligence for example).
- Discuss the requests of Credit limits with the Business Lines
- Work with Coverage of Financial Institutions and Business Lines to mitigate risk related to the counterparties
- Initiate due diligence‘s meeting or credit review
- Co-ordinate with Legal Department and credit officers to execute legal documentation by providing credit-sensitive terms in legal documentation and collateral arrangements with financial institution clients. Legal documentation includes ISDA/CSA, PSA, PSA/ISMA, MSFTA, and GMSLA.
- Interacts with nearshore Credit platforms for reviews of files, methodological support, training, new joiners welcome programs
- Guarantee objective, qualitative and concise credit risk analysis and recommendation (Annual review, ad hoc, credit notes, comparative analysis) on the portfolio for which they are responsible
- Guarantee the application of Bank’s procedures and policies and the consistency of Bank’s ratings
- Manage the annual review process and Ad Hoc requests according to their complexity, strategic importance and level of risk and meeting annual review deadlines.
- Manage the appropriate risk monitoring, jointly with CRC when applicable
- Contribute to the risk strategy definition by providing recommendation on the risk profile of the counterparty and on specific transactions in relationship with the appropriate stakeholders
- Contribute to the Bank’s reactivity vis-à-vis clients’ expectations by prioritizing urgent requests under his/her responsibility with his/her manager
- Contribute to the exposure and risk monitoring o/w reports on exposure and excesses.
- Contribute to transversal projects, crisis management and excess management
- Contribute to the quality of process: use adequately the credit process’ flow and workflow system, maintain critical client data, interact efficiently ahead of credit committee with the various stakeholders of the credit process,
- Contribute to the development/update/filling in of policies, reports and risk tools, to the Credit Process optimization and to the identification of best practices
- Contribute to & attend the Watch List and Doubtful committees on owned portfolio
· Contribute to the Due Diligence process & attend at the adequate committees in collaboration with Credit Officers & SCOs
Minimum Required Qualifications
- BS/BA required (with finance or economic background preferred).
- 8+ years previous experience in banking and/or credit risk experience covering the hedge fund sector.
- Expertise in capital markets products and related legal documentation (ISDA, CSA, GMRA…)
- Self-starter and highly motivated to learn a variety of financial institution industry sectors and capital markets products.
- Excellent presentation and communication skills (verbal and written) to firmly and confidently express credit decisions & opinions.
- Strong organizational and time management skills to meet deadlines/deliver requests on time
- Ability to work in a team environment: interacting with other credit analysts, relationship managers, front office sales persons, and clients
- Proactive, with the ability to multi-task and influence change
- Strong attention to detail and proven analytical skills
- Adaptability and proactivity, multitasking
- Solid knowledge and understanding of banking and financial markets
- Self-driven and organized
- Rigorous and reliable.
- Understanding of Corporate Banking and Capital Markets products. Capital market transactions include products such as credit and equity derivatives, swaps, bond options, repos, foreign exchange, equity trading, and securities lending. Corporate Banking transactions include products such as syndicated loan participations, letters of credit, structured transactions, and mortgage warehouse facilities.
- Technical skills, Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- MBA, FRM, CFA or CPA designation a plus
FINRA Registrations Required N/A
CFTC Swap Dealer Associated Person (if yes, NFA Swaps Proficiency Program is required): N/A
SEC Security-Based Swap Dealer Associated Person: N/A
The expected starting salary range for this position in New York is between $159,000 and $186,000 annually. The actual salary may vary based upon several factors including, but not limited to, relevant skills/experience, time in role, base salary of internal peers, prior performance, business line, and geographic/office location.
About BNP Paribas:
BNP Paribas is a leading bank in Europe with an international reach across the US, EMEA and APAC. It has a presence in 65 countries, with nearly 190,000 employees. In the United States, BNP Paribas has built a strong and diversified presence to support its client base. We continue to grow and strengthen our commitment to the US market through our Corporate & Institutional Banking activities. We are one of a few non-US banks to offer a full value chain for our clients, from trading to financing, and clearing and custody in the US with the international footprint and capacity to deliver both globally and locally. Leveraging the strength of our European roots, our network can support clients in virtually every region of the world, enabling more connectivity and efficiency wherever our clients conduct business. We take pride in our expertise and our ability to adapt while constantly looking ahead to create a more sustainable world.
The bank employs nearly 6,000 people and has a presence in the country since the late 1800s in major cities including New York, Jersey City, Chesterbrook, PA, San Francisco, Boston, Chicago, Denver and Washington, DC.
As an international company with a global footprint, the unique cultures and viewpoints of our team members are an integral part of the fabric of BNP Paribas. We are a company with a purpose – to be a responsible and sustainable global leader. We aim to create an environment where our employees feel empowered to drive change, make an impact and be true to themselves. We employ talented individuals from a wide variety of backgrounds, locally and globally, and are inspired by our employees who help us in cultivating a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace through initiatives such as our Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (DEI) Leadership Forum and Employee Resource Group (ERG) communities. We strive to be a workplace where all team members can grow and thrive and offer robust training, development and mentoring opportunities to make that vision a reality. Our leaders are deeply committed to DEI and highly accessible to our employees, consistently soliciting feedback on how we can continue to support our employees to reach their highest potential.
BNP Paribas. The Bank for a Changing World – https://usa.bnpparibas/en/homepage/join-us/our-opportunities/
BNP Paribas is committed to providing a work environment that fosters diversity, inclusion, and equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, gender, age, creed, sex, religion, national origin, disability (physical or mental), marital status, citizenship, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, or any other legally protected status.